Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Crispy Caribbean Veggie Wrappers

When I found this recipe in an old 'Healthy Cooking' magazine, I just knew I had to try it.  I had a bit of a problem though.  It called for sweet potatoes and I absolutely hate sweet potatoes.  So I put out a message on Facebook and asked my friends what I should substitute.  Several of the choices sounded really good and I let my husband pick the final substitute- plain old potatoes.  Other suggestions included acorn squash, butternut squash, pumpkin, zucchini, banana, and mashed cauliflower.  I plan on trying some of these in the future but if you try one, let me know what you think of it.  One thing I really like about this recipe was that it was something that I felt I could play around with and change up so here's my modified version.

Ingredients
  • about 1 pound potatoes
  • 1/2 c. canned black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/3 c. to 1/2 c. chopped red onion
  • 1/4 c. chopped bell peppers- any color
  • 2 T. minced fresh cilantro
  • 1 T. lime juice
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp. chopped jalapeno pepper
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 package egg roll wrappers (there should be about 20 or 21 in a package)
  • cooking spray
  • salsa
Step 2
  1. Scrub and pierce potatoes and place on a microwave safe plate.  Microwave, uncovered, on high until tender.  Turn once if using larger potatoes (I used five small potatoes).  When cool enough to handle, cut potatoes in half and scoop out the pulp.  Discard the skins.  Mash pulp in a small bowl.
  2. Mix together all of the ingredients except for the wrappers, cooking spray and salsa.
  3. Lightly brush all four edges of one egg roll wrapper with water.  (Keep your remaining wrappers under a damp paper towel until ready to use.)  Spread approximately 1 T. (or a little more) along one edge of wrapper.  Roll up tightly folding edges in to seal.  Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
  4. Place wrappers seam side down on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.  Spritz wrappers with cooking spray.  Bake at 375 degree F. until golden brown.  Serve warm with salsa.
Step 3 

     
Step 4







Really, quite delicious!
I would have loved to put all of the photos with each step but for whatever reason blogger wouldn't let me insert more than the one in my list.  Sorry about that!  For those of you counting WW points, this recipe clocks in at 1 point per wrapper!  And regular salsa is 0 points so enjoy however much of that you want.  And again feel free to change up the ingredients to fit your tastes.  Maybe you like things less spicy so leave out the jalapenos.  Or maybe you want to kick it up an extra notch with some chili powder or Cajun seasoning.  It's all up to you!  Just remember that if you're doing WW and you change it up, to make those changes in your recipe builder in case your points change.  Let me know what you think down in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment