Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Christmas gifts...

I'm just the posting queen tonight!  One last post before I call it a night.  Now that Christmas has been over for a few weeks, I thought I would share some of the gifts that I made this year.  I've been making all (or almost all) of my gifts for several years now.  I think that there's something special about receiving a handmade gift as opposed to something just picked up in a store.  So here are a few things that I made this year.

This is a kitchen set that I made for my sister Donna.  I used an old tin for the canister.  I then modpodged all over it and covered it in fabric.  I printed the label out from the computer and then hand cut it.  I inked all of the edges and the coated it in a layer of embossing powder to help prevent the ink from running if it were to get splashed with water.  I also made two pot holders because everybody can use a pot holder or two!




Donna also got this fun apron.  I was really tempted to keep this for myself- I just love batiks!  The reverse is actually the checkered cherry print that used for the canister and pot holders.
I made Grandma this purse.  It's really not too exciting until you learn that this is only part of the purse! 
Here's the rest of the purse!  The purse is designed so that the outside cover can be changed out.  There are magnetic snaps on the purse and on the inside of each cover to hold the cover onto the purse.  And there's a flap that comes down from the top of the purse to hide the top of the cover. 
Mom got this purse.  It was a McCall's pattern that she picked out from my stash of patterns.  I found the main fabric with the dots in the red tag section at the Jo-Ann's that I work at.  I then found the other four fabrics to play off of the first one.  You can't see fabric number four at all because it's the lining for the purse but I can tell you that it's a black tone on tone.

My other sister Mary and her husband Carl got four pillow covers to fit 16 inch pillow forms for their couch.  I could have sworn that I took a picture but I can't seem to figure out what happened to it.  They also wanted hand-knit wool socks.  Problem with that is that I don't really know how to knit.  I have a sock loom but it's taken me weeks to get almost two inches done of it.  So Jim went out and picked up some really warm wool socks from Gander Mountain.

So there you have it.  Some of the gifts that I made this year.  Hope you liked seeing them.  I'm actually still working on one gift- my uncle wanted a pen and ink drawing of his cat, Emma.  I'll post a picture of that when I manage to get it done.  Good thing he's patient about it!  :)  Tomorrow I'll post some of the cards that I made for Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. Your gifts are beautiful. I made an iPad envelope for someone out of the same teal striped fabric. Love all the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete